[udig-devel] Custom project elements

Kenneth Gulbrandsoy kenneth.gulbrandsoy at gmail.com
Thu May 20 02:50:43 PDT 2010

Hi!

Question: What is the preferred method for adding custom elements to the
uDig project model?

*The scenario is as follows*

Our uDig application (ETELab) has several custom elements that should be
persisted into the same project structure as the uDig project elements. One
custom element is "IStudy", where each study is a set of parameters and
operations that together are applied to a custom dataset generating a new
one. Each study should be persisted for easy re-execution when the source
data changes and documentation purposes. Another element type is
"IOperation", a class of custom elements that each study is build from.

I've followed the discussion title "New Attribute added in internal.ecore"
on udig-devel, and it seems to me that adding new elements using EMF and
"project.genmodel" in "net.refractions.udig.project" is complicated and that
the outcome is uncertain.

What if new elements and attributes could be added to the uDig model through
extension points? I do not know if this is possible, but if it is, it would
make it much easier to for developer to extend the uDig model.

Best regards,
Kenneth Gulbrandsøy
Norway

PS: The latter is an improvement request, and should probably be added as
one...