[udig-devel] LGPL and commercial plugins

euan crawford denovan9 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:18:25 PST 2006

Can I build a commercial (non-LGPL) plugin for uDig? The plugin would
interact with the compiled uDig libraries but not involve any changes to the
core uDig code.

I looked at the LGPL homepage http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html and
have included a couple of snippets that imply a plugin could be LGPL exempt.
The latter may be particularly relevant.

"A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is
designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is
called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a
derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of
this License."

"there may be a special need to encourage the widest possible use of a
certain library, so that it becomes a de-facto standard. To achieve this,
non-free programs must be allowed to use the library"

I know that lawyers could steer this either way so I'd appreciate any
comments/advice.

yours
Euan Crawford

SmartScreen Technology.